Monday, July 28, 2008

...The Infamous Knollwood Moment...I don't think it would take long for my family members to instantly recall where they were standing when this incident took place...It remains a controversey that remains unsolved to this day...One bright sunny, summer morning...my two brothers went outside to play...Most of us, were inside just waking up...my Mom was probably frying up some bacon and eggs and my Dad had just set out to begin his morning shaving routine...As my Dad lathered on his shaving cream...he noticed his two boys crawling into our station wagon...from the side window in the bathroom...I imagine my Dad felt everything was normal as my brothers slid into the front seat and started to wrestle...

...Suddenly...the vehicle...which was perched up at the top of the hill...jerked forward...and started rolling slowly down the hill...Obviously, someone had accidentally jostled the gear shift forward and from that moment on...it was as they say....all downhill...As the station wagon began to descend...it began to pick up speed...It hit a bump...and my brother Danny...hurtled backward into the back seat...

...Meanwhile...my Dad is watching this all unfold as he gets half-way through shaving his face...To his amazement...the family vehicle...was not only picking up speed as it rolled down the hill...but it was heading straight towards a huge oak tree...He immediately flew out the door and began chasing after the vehicle, trying to somehow stop its progress...Here he was...half-way dressed, with half of his face covered in shaving cream...yelling at his boys...Joe and Danny...as the station wagon rolled further and further...down the hill...

...SMASH....!!!!

...As the vehicle slid violently into the tree...all my Dad could do was watch in horror...He ran up to the vehicle and threw open the door and screamed at both of the boys...Who did this...!!!

...Both of my brothers pointed at each other...frightened to death...and yelled out...He did it...!!!

...My Dad was certainly glad no one was hurt but the front end of the station wagon had sustained significant damage...

...Here we are...some 40 years later...and we still do not know...who hit the gear shift and sent the station wagon tumbling down the hill...

My guess...is that neither of my brother knows who actually accidentally nudged the gear shift...but it will forever remain the biggest unsoved mystery in the annals of O'Leary history.

No comments: